Daniel A. Shmalo
Daniel A. Shmalo is the founder and managing partner of 360 Venture Law (Shmalo Turner), LLP, a specialized law firm working with start-up and fast-growing entrepreneurial companies and their investors. Dan practices in the areas of corporate law, private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, investment fund formation, business contracts, and technology licensing. Dan began his career as an attorney with Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP and with Holland & Knight, LLP. In a past life, he was a financial consultant with Merrill Lynch and PaineWebber (now UBS), two of the nation’s leading investment banks, and held various securities and insurance licenses. Dan is a member of the State Bar of Georgia (Corporate and Technology Law Sections) and the American Bar Association. He lives in Brookhaven with his wife Erin and their 7 year-old-twins, Brandon and Emily.
Recent Legal Matters:
- Represented group in management buy-out of telecommunication services firm from public company parent.
- Represented consulting firm in spin-off of Swedish subsidiary.
- Represented merchant card loyalty marketing company in recapitalization transaction with national private equity firm.
- Represented web-hosting provider is sale to national leader in industry
- Represented specialty pigment manufacturer in the acquisition of South African affiliate.
- Represented investment management firm in multi-step reorganization and employee equity transaction.
- Represented vendor management and compliance company in Series D Preferred financing.
- Represented public company in international IP license and content distribution joint venture.
- Represented strategy consulting firm in sale to an international publicly traded telecommunications company.
- Represented enterprise software development company in sale to a Fortune 50 company.
- Represented regional real estate investment company in their acquisition of national property management business.
- Dan is a marathon runner, mentor and member of the Hall of Fame with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s “Team In Training” program. He has completed eleven marathon events during the past dozen years. To date, Dan has helped to raise more than $70,000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
- Atlanta Ronald McDonald House Charities, Hearts and Hands Gala, Host Committee Co-Chair 2013, Member 2014.
- Georgia Technology Transfer Group, a GECA sub-committee, member.
- Georgia Bowl™ MBA business plan competition at The University of Georgia, Judge.
- The Georgia Institute of Technology, Guest-lecturer on venture capital.
- SERIS, the Southeastern Regional Internet Society, Past President.
- Coach to a venture capital team from the Goizueta Business School at Emory University.
- Host committee for the 2004 Georgia Technology Summit, member
- TechLINKS Community contribution award March 2004, recipient.
Representative Speaking Engagements:
- Chair, Growth Companies: Business & Legal Considerations (Institute of Continuing Legal Education) 2013-2016
- Startup & Emerging Growth Companies (Institute of Continuing Legal Education 2010, 2012)
- Small Business Finance Institute (2011, 2012)
- Venture Capital Transactions seminar (Institute of Continuing Legal Education 2005)
- Venture Capital Transactions seminar (Institute of Continuing Legal Education 2003)
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. (Securities and Financial Regulation)
- Tulane Law School, Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
- Boston University, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration